Garden rose is a rather capricious view of all the decorative flowers grown in the home garden, so the plant requires competent care, as well as proper processing at different stages of the growing season. The greatest danger of the disease and pests of roses are at the stage of development of the buds, active growth processes of foliage and shoots, as well as in the phase of setting buds.
Common pests of roses
Diseases and pests of the rose are very numerous, therefore, the fight against them should include not only treatment, but also competent protection of the decorative culture at all stages of growth and development. To properly deal with rose pests It is very important to know the description of plant parasites and the main signs of plant damage:
- rose aphid possesses a grassy-green body, shiny yellowish-brown tendrils, which are somewhat longer than the body of the pest. Larvae appearing in April can very actively suck juice from buds, young shoots and leaves, and also parasitize on buds. Over the summer period, aphids can form several generations that feed on leaves and shoots, causing their deformation, wrinkling, twisting and wilting, the buds affected by the pest do not open;
- sawfly downward eats young shoots from the inside, which causes a strong weakening and subsequent death of the plant;
- shields they form small and hard growths that secrete a sticky fluid on which a fungal infection develops. As a result of damage to the foliage, it turns yellow and falls ahead of time, and the rose becomes very weakened;
- spider mite harms decorative culture from the first decade of summer until the beginning of September. At this time, you can notice small whitish dots on the underside of the foliage and the formation of a thin cobwebous plaque that braids the aerial part of the plant, as a result of which the leaves become discolored, become grayish, and then turn brown;
- rose circadian has a yellowish or yellowish-green body of oblong-elongated shape with a characteristic narrowing at the end and a pair of dark spots on the head. Translucent veined wings are long. The pest eats vegetable juice, resulting in white dots forming on the upper side of the leaves, and the leaf plate discolors and then turns yellow.
Other types of pests that parasitize on rose bushes, including thrips, a flat rosette and a sawfly, are less common in home gardening.
Pests of roses
Ways to fight
To treat garden roses when the first signs of damage to a plant are detected by pests, you can use folk remedies or strong chemical preparations. Of course, in conditions of mass destruction, insect-fungicides show the greatest effectiveness, and folk remedies can be used as additional ones.
|Pest||Chemical treatment||Folk ways of struggle|
|Spider mites||Wash foliage many times with the addition of "Agrovertin" or "Fitoverm" at the rate of 2 ml per liter of water. You can use a solution of "Colloidal sulfur", diluted at the rate of 40 g per bucket of water||Infusion of dandelions based on 350 g of leaves and flowers, infused for four hours in five liters of warm water|
|Rosette leaf||Remove damaged parts and spray with Actara. The Iskra treatment gives a good result when diluted at the rate of one tablet per 10 liters of water for processing 50 square meters of flower garden||Grind a kilogram of hemlock and grind a couple of liters of water to a mushy state. Top up with water to 15 l, leave for 24 hours, strain and use for spraying|
|Rose sawfly||Destruction of the affected foliage, and then treat the aerial part and the soil in the trunk circles with Intavir or Iskra||Insist 30 g of dry wormwood in a bucket of cold water for a couple of weeks, before fermentation, then spray and water the plant|
|Aphid||Two or three-time processing by Inta-vir, Arrivo, Tsimbush or Micron. It is allowed to use "Karbofos" at the rate of 30 g per 5 liters of water or the preparation "Iskra" at the rate of 10 g per bucket of water||Pour 200 g of dried nettle with five liters of water and leave for three hours, then add a small amount of liquid soap. You can use a solution of kerosene (1 g per 5 l of water), which is processed twice a month|
|Thrips and Rose Cicadas||Remove damaged parts and process with Actara||Pour 500 g of crushed capsicum with five liters of water and boil for two days. Before processing, the infusion must be diluted twice|
It is best to deal with damaging shields of roses with a simple soapy solution, which can be sprayed with plants or wiped with a cloth moistened with solution. A significant defeat by scabies requires a strong pruning of rose bushes and the destruction of pruned shoots.
Spring cultivation of garden rose bushes is very important. It allows the plant to recover faster after a long winter period and helps protect the plant from the most common diseases and pests:
- immediately after the removal of the winter shelter, it is necessary to carry out an audit of the decorative culture and sanitary pruning of rose bushes with the removal of all the frost-bitten, damaged and thickening bush shoots;
- before swelling of the kidneys, contact insecticides are used;
- if the buds have already begun to grow, then it is advisable to treat the aerial parts of the plant with Actellic, Antio, Karbofos, Metation or Rogor.
In order to prevent lesions, at the stage of activation of growth processes, it is recommended to spray the rose bushes with Rose-Clear preparations. Processing must be carried out in dry, windless and slightly sunny weather.
How to protect roses from insects
Proper preparation of decorative culture for winter frosts allows you to keep the plant productive and healthy. Spraying rose bushes in the autumn is not only possible, but also necessary. During this period, all flowers have already bloomed and pre-winter top dressing and trimming of decorative culture has been carried out. It is important to note that it is necessary to timely stop the growing season.
In order to stop the formation of new shoots, irrigation measures are reduced, access of nutrients and air to the root system is limited, and all newly formed sprouts and buds are pinched.
After the vegetation has been suspended and the pruning of rose bushes has been carried out, it is required to spray the aerial parts of the decorative culture with a 3% solution based on iron sulfate or with Oxychim according to the instructions supplied by the manufacturer.
How to deal with aphids on roses
After prophylactic treatment, the earthing up of a garden rose and shelter in an air-dry manner are carried out. It should be remembered that if the rose bushes were correctly trimmed and fed well, the decorative culture grows strong enough, which allows it to actively resist most pests and pathogenic microflora on its own.