The useful and healing properties of lemon mint are widely used in both official and traditional medicine. To many, such a common garden crop is very well known under the name Melissa officinalis. This perennial herb and essential oil plant belongs to the family Iasnotkovye and is often found as a field crop on forest edges, along forest ravines and shady ravines.
The chemical composition and characteristics of lemon balm
All medicinal properties and contraindications to the use of lemon mint are due to its special chemical composition. The main biologically active compound is represented by essential oil, the amount of which in the aerial part can vary at the level of 0.02-0.2-0.8%. The quantitative composition of the essential oil directly depends on both the geographical location, and from the characteristics of soil and climatic factors.
Lemon mint is characterized as a rich source of ascorbic acid., as well as other active, useful for the human body, components represented by:
- acids of organic origin;
- beneficial resins and flavonoids;
- tannins and bitterness;
- coffee acids;
- rosmarinic acids.
Melissa has a similar composition with such an equally popular and useful plant as peppermint.
How to grow lemon balm
Lemon mint: medicinal properties and contraindications
The medicinal and healing properties of lemon balm are quite extensive. In addition to the fact that the plant contains many trace elements necessary for humans, including magnesium, zinc, potassium, molybdenum, selenium, manganese and copper, its aboveground part is actively used for medical purposes:
- oil is used if necessary to relieve spastic conditions, it is useful in the treatment of heart disease and the prevention of cancer. Aromatherapy with oil gives a good result in the treatment of insomnia. It is actively used in the treatment of neurological diseases, accompanied by irritation, sleep disturbance and increased irritability;
- leaf decoctions, prepared at the rate of 10 g per 500 ml of water and infused for a quarter of an hour, are used in the treatment of almost any nervous disorders that are accompanied by gastric colic. Active components can even cope with severe headaches of various etiologies and migraine attacks, and also allow you to normalize brain processes, including blood circulation;
- decoctions can be used with the purpose of a mild, but very effective reduction in blood pressure. A good result is observed in the treatment of colds and viral diseases, inflammatory processes in the throat, toothache. The broth can be used as a diaphoretic and diuretic;
- Melissa infusion helps to improve digestion, facilitate the separation of bile, and supports the pancreas. Useful infusions for problems with the intestines, chronic constipation and diseases associated with increased gas formation. The main indications for the use of infusion are chronic gastritis and cholecystitis, as well as chronic pancreatitis and associated pathologies.
Lemon balm herb is the main ingredient in medicinal medicinal products, the use of which is aimed at getting rid of asthma, tachycardia and coronary heart disease, as well as anemia. Low hypoglycemic index allows the use of lemon balm in diet drinks.
It has lemon balm and some harmful properties., therefore, the absolute contraindications should include conditions expressed:
- individual intolerance to the main active components;
- lowered or prone to lowering blood pressure;
- ulcerative and erosive lesions of the gastric mucosa and duodenum;
- severe damage to the central nervous system;
- liver diseases.
Lemon mint is prohibited in the treatment of preschool children. Contraindication is also chronic alcoholism. Side effects if used improperly can be represented by dizziness, hypotensive manifestations or a decrease in blood pressure and severe weakness. In the most severe cases, loss of consciousness is observed.
The healing properties of mint
Useful properties of lemon mint for women
Lemon mint herb is popular with women. Means based on this plant help in getting rid of excess weight, normalize the menstrual cycle, and are also widely used in the treatment of inflammatory diseases. Equally popular culture in cosmetology and helps treat various skin rashes, dandruff and excessive sweating.
Pregnant women can add the leaves of this plant to teas, as well as refreshing and tonic drinks. Such drugs have proven themselves in the presence of toxicosis, nausea and lack of appetite. The use of lemon mint during lactation helps to increase milk production, and also improves its quality characteristics.
Other mint varieties
In our country, the fragrant plectrantus or indoor mint is well known. Perennial culture has a fairly pleasant and characteristic smell. The plant grows directly, or has a creeping stem part. Subject to the rules of cultivation and good care, the height of the plant often exceeds 40-50 cm. Plectranthus has attractive, decorative foliage. The leaves are oval, up to 10 cm long, with fine-toothed edges.
Plectranthus, like lemon mint, has a large number of medicinal and beneficial properties, therefore used in the treatment of:
- chronic strong cough;
- diseases of the nasopharynx;
- bronchial asthma;
- acute and chronic rhinitis;
- pronounced tendency to flatulence.
How to store peppermint
The use of room mint helps to cope with the complications arising from severe or sluggish infectious diseases. Plectrantus is recommended for use during pregnancy and lactation. Finds a fragrant indoor perennial application in cooking. Leaflets are added to meat and fish dishes.
Perennial grass, popularly called lemon mint due to its high content of essential oil with the smell of lemon, is very useful. Its healing properties are highly appreciated, due to which the culture finds very wide application in folk and official medicine.