Decorative and properly designed flower borders for beds - original and stylish elements of landscape design. A diverse ready-made border fence for garden flowers is currently being produced. However, beautiful and uncomplicated borders can well be done on their own.
How to protect a flowerbed in the garden: an overview of purchased borders and fences
To effectively frame any garden flower garden, you can use ready-made border fences made of different materials and differing in size or shape. Today, manufacturers produce several different types and configurations of such elements of landscape decoration.
Usually, for decorative purposes, plastic constructions with a height of not more than 60-70 mm are most often used. When framing garden paths and paths, it is best to use fences 100-150 mm high. Flower beds with tall decorative foliage and flowering plants are usually decorated with half-meter fences, and for mixboders, delimiting borders of minimum height are ideal.
Particularly popular are:
- durable metal borders and fences are made only by individual orders. Forged fences look very impressive, which are successfully combined with similar elements represented by window bars, gates and various external fences of the garden. The advantage of openwork forged fences is the ability to clearly see all the decorative plants. Among other things, in such designs can be successfully grown a variety of curly ornamental plants. The disadvantages of forged products include high cost and significant weight;
- popular plastic borders do not collapse under the influence of high humidity and seasonal temperature fluctuations. A certain advantage is that the independent installation of such fences does not require any effort, and the variety of shapes, colors and sizes allows you to choose a border that is most suitable for the landscape of the house territory.
Currently, manufacturers have launched production of high-quality, durable and sufficiently strong plastic borders that perfectly imitate natural wood and stone, as well as other natural materials or have a concrete appearance. Plastic designs are available in several forms, most often represented:
- in separate sections, equipped at the ends of the elements with reliable and convenient pegs that are installed in the ground around the entire perimeter of the flower garden. With your own hands, you can easily and quickly perform not only installation, but also installation. Using sections, not only the rectangular shape of the flower garden is created, but also flower beds with an interesting geometric shape and even multilevel designs;
- flexible plastic tape, wound in a convenient and compact roll, which facilitates transportation and allows you to enclose not only round flower beds and flower beds, but also winding garden paths. This option is perfect for creating sectional border structures.
Self-installation of a tape fence does not take much time and effort. In this case, it is enough to dig a narrow groove around the flower bed and cut off the plastic tape of the required length. The ends of the tape are fastened with a stapler, after which the structure is installed in the groove and filled with soil. The outside can be very effectively decorated with small pebbles, pebbles, peat or other natural materials.
Borders for flower beds: varieties
How to make decorative borders with your own hands
In the presence of free time and creative imagination, you can perform a decorative framing of flower beds yourself. Very often, curbs are constructed on their own from available materials at hand.
The most environmentally friendly is the creation of a wooden structure. Having enough wood allows you to assemble your own wooden frame. It will be necessary to prepare wooden planks of the same size and thickness, the upper part of which is rounded. The fastening of the individual elements to each other is made by sufficiently long transverse bars.
Along the perimeter of the enclosed flower garden, support pegs must be installed. It is allowed to perform concreting of such supports, which will not reduce the external decorativeness, but will make the design more durable and durable. The finished frame is necessarily treated with special antiseptic solutions. If desired, you can varnish the surface or paint.
We make borders for flower beds from brick
Durability is distinguished by a curb fence made of ordinary brick. Low frames can be represented by two rows of bricks laid flat on the perimeter of the flower garden. You can increase the reliability of such brick laying with a special foundation foundation. To improve the visual appeal, you can combine bricks of different colors or paint the finished structure with paint.
Natural stone flower bed frame
Very beautiful, reliable and durable borders for a flower bed or a decorative flower garden in a house territory are obtained using natural stone. For the purpose of this design, a trench is dug around the perimeter of the flower arrangement, which in terms of width is related to the size of the stones used. Standard concrete mortar is poured into the dug trench and the largest stones are pressed.
A cement mortar is also used to bond all the elements together. Between large elements smaller stones are installed. The gaps between large stones are filled with smaller stones. Especially original look stone flower beds in combination with garden paths, made in the style of stone mosaics.
Garden borders from plastic bottles, tires and other unnecessary things
The category of the most budgetary and most popular options include flower beds framed by improvised materials that most often are represented by ordinary plastic bottles or car tires:
- in the vertical arrangement of the fence, one-color bottles of the same volume are used, which must be filled with sand or gravel for stability. Elements are dug in at a predetermined perimeter without gaps;
- with a horizontal arrangement of the fence, you can use folded on top of each other tires, the outer part of which is painted. Plastic bottles that are fixed with cement mortar also look attractive.
To increase decorativeness, it is possible to stack elements of a border fence in a checkerboard pattern.
Do-it-yourself decorative fences for flower beds made of bricks
Stages of manufacturing a concrete edging for a flower garden
Decorative concrete edging is quick and easy, using:
- concrete blocks;
- black plastic film;
- construction level and measuring tape;
- fine gravel;
- fabric bag filters;
- building sand;
- shovels and rake;
First you need to clear the construction site and remove the soil layer, after which the surface is leveled, and the sand cushion is filled up. On top of the compacted sand you need to spread black polyethylene and fill up a layer of fine gravel. Blocks are stacked using a grid. After completion of work, the earth is poured into a flower bed and decorative plants are planted.
The wicker design of the flower garden on the homestead territory is very original, for the implementation of which thin wooden blocks are used, as well as even sticks and willow or bird cherry twigs of the same length:
- installation around a flower bed of wooden blocks with a distance that corresponds to the length of the rods used;
- between installed chambers, it is necessary to insert additional wooden sticks at an equal distance;
- willow or bird cherry rods are passed between the supporting sticks, first on one side, and then on the other side, which will allow basket basket weaving;
- to give the border maximum strength, it is necessary to securely fix the ends of the rods to be installed on small blocks with small studs.
All sections are manufactured according to a similar scheme, and it is recommended to cover the finished structure with special antiseptic solutions.
How to make a living border: plant selection, planting and pruning
Living borders made of decorative and deciduous stunted plants look very fresh and elegant. Most often, low-growing shrubs are used for this purpose, the height of the aerial part of which does not exceed 35–45 cm with a width of half a meter. Border plants should be quite compact and dense, as well as harmoniously combined with the general style of a flower bed. Experts recommend planting such crops as a living border:
You can also plant spicy aromatic crops for this purpose: parsley, celery, mint and thyme, saffron. The undersized varieties represented by barberry, boxwood, cotoneaster, caragana, cinquefoil and honeysuckle will become a worthy setting. Also for curbs, low-growing varieties of rhododendrons with a compact crown are very widely used. A neat and attractive appearance of a short hedge gives a timely and proper haircut.
Plants for the living border
Properly executed fences for flower beds perform several functions, including protection for the "unauthorized" growth of decorative foliage and flowering crops, as well as a fence from children and pets. Having made such a fence with your own hands, you can not only save money, but also get an individual and exclusive part on the territory.