Fragrant sour berry will be a worthy filling for baking. One problem - when baking, it gives off a lot of juice, which overshadows the joy of the hostess. The fact that the filling has leaked is signaled by the characteristic smell of burnt berry caramel.
There are 2 ways to avoid the flow of the filling - heat treatment of the berries before laying in the pie or an additional layer between the filling and the dough, which can be dried flour or potato starch. But this is only for yeast dough.
Fresh Berry Pie: Step-by-Step Recipe
Big berry pies are better to bake "open". Therefore, the calculation of products for one pie will be somewhat unusual.
- ¼ bag of dry yeast;
- 1 tablespoon of sugar;
- 2 tablespoons of flour (with a slide) of ½ kg.
This is the composition of the dough. 15 minutes for the dough to approach, after which the remainder, of half a kilogram of flour, is added. If the dough turns out cool, you can add sour cream, milk, butter, kefir - any dairy product.
It is not recommended to add vegetable oil, if none of the dairy products were at hand, it is better to take a little boiled cold water.
- The dough is kneaded on the table, sprinkled with a small amount of flour, for 5-10 minutes. It should “puff”, then it must be crushed into a lump, separated by about ¼ - this piece will go to the grating of the upper layer. Most will go to the bottom layer of the pie.
- A small piece of dough can be divided into several parts. Flagella can be rolled between the palms at once.
- The peculiarity of preparing large yeast pies is that rolling will require a rolling pin. Only with strong pressure can the dough even remain thin after baking, which contradicts the very concept of homemade pies.
- Roll out very carefully with a small amount of flour on the table. In order for the dough not stick to the rolling pin, you do not need to constantly turn it over, saturating with flour, it is enough to sprinkle the working tool several times. The sheet of rolled dough should be 5 cm larger than the size of the mold in which the cake will be baked.
- The dough is laid out on a warm, but not hot baking sheet, covered with a thin dense layer of flour, and preferably starch.
- The berries are laid out in a thin layer in 1 berry high. The filling is sprinkled with granulated sugar per 100 g of berries 40 g of sand. If there is more sand, it will steal the aroma and taste of red and white currants. It is not so easy to kill the strong smell of blackcurrant, but it will affect the taste.
- The final step before sending the cake to the oven is the laying and fastening of dough decorations. If the flagella are greatly reduced, they must be tightened, securing the edges of the dough on both sides. It is preferable to first roll up the dough from opposite sides, and not twist the pie round. The only exception is when the baking dish is round.
- Put the pie in the oven, preheated to 220⁰-250⁰ C. At this temperature, you need to bake until the berries crack, and the sand does not dissolve in their juice. This is no more than 5 minutes, then the gas decreases and the cake reaches at 180⁰ C.
Recipe for open pies with currant filling
For small pies, you can use whole berries, but it is better to rub them with sugar and let stand a little to drain excess juice from the filling, which will interfere with the yeast dough for a real bake. Still, the cake should be dry outside. For baking round pies, any yeast dough recipe is suitable.
- After the last manual batch, the total mass of the dough must be divided into balls and sent to the dough in a warm place for 10-15 minutes.
- After that, arrange the balls in rows on a baking sheet at a distance of 5 cm from each other and the blanks of the adjacent row.
- Take the glass and its bottom not just flatten the ball, but make a recess in it about half the height. The filling is laid in this hole. The principle of cooking cheesecakes, only instead of curd filling, berry is used.
- These pies are sent to the oven, heated to 180⁰ C.
A large cake with currants on shortcrust pastry: a recipe for lovers of sweet pastries
No vanillin, no extra spices for fresh currant pies are required. The aroma of berries is preserved even after pasteurization, only a large dose of granulated sugar can reduce it. Therefore, lovers of pies with red currants need to have several jars of berries rolled up without sugar.
Cooking pies on a shortcrust pastry lasts no more than half an hour, so that such a treat can please guests who have arisen on the doorstep of the house without warning.
- 0.5 kg of butter or margarine for baking;
- 0.5 kg of flour;
- a glass of granulated sugar;
- 1 cup of currant.
- The oil is rubbed with a full portion of flour and sand with your hands. Just in case, it’s better to set yourself another glass of flour. It is possible that it will not be needed, but grabbing the bag with oily hands is inconvenient.
- It is necessary to knead the dough until the butter is felt on the hands, so no peeling lumps should remain. The container in which the dough was kneaded should appear to be absolutely clean, without any residual mixture adhering to it.
- If it is possible to mold a lump of uniform color from the dough that does not crack when pressed, this is the necessary consistency. It should be noted that until the end the shortbread dough does not happen, that when laying in the mold allows you to more evenly lay out the layer and even stretch the edges a little. This type of dough is good because giving it a raw shape, after baking there will be no surprises in appearance.
- For convenience, the mass should be divided in half. For baking, it is better to use a mold with high edges.
- The bottom of the form is filled with 1 cm dough. It must be compacted, slightly extend the edges, fixing them on the walls of the form. Fill the resulting recess with berries mixed with granulated sugar. This layer can reach 1-1.5 cm in height.
- On top of the filling, the remaining dough is distributed with a grater. It is better to rub it on a coarse grater, it’s faster and the result will be more beautiful. The top of a shortcake is not made with a solid sheet for the reason that excess moisture must evaporate. Juice coming to the surface in this pie, where the dough itself is very sweet, will not be superfluous. In addition, you do not have to wait for your own blush from the test.
- Bake the pie until cooked at a temperature of 180 degrees.
The recipe for round milk currants with currant jam
- 0.5 kg of butter;
- 0.5 kg of flour;
- a glass of granulated sugar;
- half a glass of milk;
- 2 eggs;
- currant jam.
- Small round pies can be made on shortcrust pastry rolled out 1 cm thick. A glass or a metal mold will help to round the blanks.
- The principle of distributing the layers of dough and filling completely coincides with that given for a large shortcake, only thin dough will be baked faster.
- The only drawback of shortcrust pastry is its friability. A small addition to the list of products used - half a glass of milk and 2 eggs driven into the dough will help reduce the number of crumbs from the treats. The pies are tastier.
- Currant jam can be put inside the rolled dough, forming a pie on the principle of juices. It is better to bake such pies on a cake from dough with egg and milk, and grate the top layer from ordinary sand.
- Baking is done at a temperature of 180 degrees until cooked.
Currant Fried Patties: A Simple Recipe
Yeast is not always at hand, but if there is a glass of kefir or a jar of sour cream in the refrigerator, you can always please the household with fresh, delicate pastries.
It doesn’t take much time to mix:
- 3 eggs;
- a glass of fermented milk product;
- a tablespoon of granulated sugar;
- a pinch of salt;
- a teaspoon of soda, extinguished with vinegar.
Further cooking process:
- The amount of flour is arbitrary, because the density of dairy products is different, as is the size of the eggs. Flour must be added gradually until the dough is thick and easy to stick off of the hands.
- Divide the mass into small portions, roll into plates. Filling from currant jam or thick jam is dosed with a teaspoon. Small pies are formed.
- Vegetable oil is poured into the pan (up to half its depth). Pies are carefully laid out in boiling oil.
- The stage of readiness is determined by the degree of golden crust. The browned pies are turned over and fried on the second side.
To remove excess oil from pies, which will still drain for some time, you can use paper towels. But the paper is soaking, so it’s better to use a colander installed on a pan or bowl in which excess vegetable fat is drained.
Blackcurrant pies - healthy and tasty pastries
Berry pies are a favorite treat of many people. They are so juicy, fresh and deliciously delicious. Blackcurrant pies are especially popular among homemade lovers.
This berry is very healthy. It is rich in vitamin C, as well as A, E, K, P and B vitamins. It is interesting that most of these useful substances are stored in currants even after heat treatment. Therefore, homemade pies with black berries are not only tasty, but also very useful.
- pressed yeast - 20 g;
- granulated sugar for dough - 200 g;
- water - 110-120 ml;
- kefir - 240 ml;
- chicken egg - 2 pcs.;
- premium wheat flour - 550-600 g (how much dough will take);
- a pinch of salt;
- blackcurrant - 2 cups;
- granulated sugar to taste.
- Turn the burner on to a small fire and slightly heat the water in a saucepan on it. It should be warm, but not hot.
- Dissolve the prepared sugar in it, stirring with a spoon.
- Add crumbled yeast to the warm, sweet water. It is for this stage that it is important that the water is not very hot. Otherwise, the yeast will die. Stir the mixture with the same spoon until all the ingredients have dissolved.
- Now in the yeast mass you need to add all the ingredients, except currants and sugar for the filling. Here you need to monitor the amount of flour. Put it as much as the dough can take. Pour a little and knead well.
- When it becomes smooth, elastic and stops sticking to your hands, you need to put it apart. To do this, sprinkle the obtained lump with flour, cover the pan with the dough with a towel and wrap it in a blanket. We leave this design in a warm place, first for an hour. Then you need to knead the approached dough and leave it wrapped for another couple of hours.
- In the meantime, work on the filling. To do this, wash and sort out the currant, free it from the "tails". Sprinkle the prepared berries with sugar to taste and mix gently.
- Pinch off small pieces from the finished dough and, pressing them with your palm, make circles. Spread 1-2 tsp on each fillings and pinch pies.
- Cover the baking sheet with parchment (if there is no parchment, you can sprinkle it with flour or semolina) and put the formed pies on it. Leave them to stand for 10-12 minutes.
- During this time, we heat the oven to 200-250 degrees. We send a baking sheet into it with pies pre-greased with an egg, sweet tea or butter.
- Baking is ready when it slightly increased in volume and acquired a beautiful golden color.
If the berries are sweet enough, you can not add sugar to the filling.
Frozen Currant Pies
This recipe will help out in case of unexpected guests or if you want something tasty for tea, but you don’t want to go to the store. Having a supply of frozen berries and a pack of ready-made puff pastry, in just 30 minutes you will prepare delicious and fragrant homemade cakes.
- puff pastry - 1 pack (450 g);
- frozen currants - 200 g;
- sugar to taste;
- egg - 1 pc;
- icing sugar - for sprinkling.
- Defrost the dough and currants.
- Sprinkle the berries with sugar. Adjust its amount to taste, but taking into account the fact that thawed currants are acidic and fresh.
- Roll out the thawed dough 1 cm thick. Cut it into squares with a side of about 10 cm.
- Put the filling in the center of each square and fold the dough in half to make triangles.
- We spread them on a baking sheet, which was previously covered with parchment.
- Next you need to beat the egg a little and grease the pies with it.
- Each triangle is chopped on top 2-3 times with a toothpick and put the baking sheet in the oven, heated to 200 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes (or according to instructions on a packet of dough).
- Cool the prepared pies a little (but not completely), sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Instead of eggs for lubrication, you can take sugar syrup.
Pies with apples and black currants (video)
Fresh berries can be used for the filling in mashed form, only draining the excess juice, otherwise the pies "will let flow".