Sweet pepper, despite the thermophilicity, is an extremely popular plant and is widely cultivated in the soil and climatic conditions of central Russia. Pepper "California Miracle" is one of the most beloved and widespread varieties of bell pepper in our country from the American selection.
The description of this very productive mid-season variety of bell pepper is known to most gardeners in our country. The variety is perfect both for fresh consumption and for use in homemade products, due to high taste and good presentation.
Fruits of a cuboid shape, with juicy and sweet pulp. The variety deservedly belongs to the category of thick-walled sweet peppers, and the thickness of the pulp reaches 8 mm. The average mass of marketable fruit is 120-150 g. Bushes are powerful, not more than 75−95 cm tall The variety "California Miracle" is perfectly adapted for growing both on ridges of open ground, and in greenhouses or greenhouses. Indicators of total productivity, subject to agricultural technology, vary between 1.9–3 kg per square meter of planted area.
Vegetable culture is characterized by a rather long vegetative period. The root system of sweet bell pepper with a seedling method of cultivation is rod and branching, it is able to penetrate into the soil to a depth of 70 cm or more. Seedling plants have a fibrous root system located at a depth of about 30-40 cm.
Advantages and disadvantages
Varietal characteristics of one of the best representatives of sweet bell pepper allows you to get a vegetable plant, possessing the following positive qualities and advantages:
- aligned, salable appearance of the fruit;
- excellent taste;
- juicy and fleshy pulp without bitterness;
- the possibility of obtaining high productivity not only in greenhouse conditions, but also on ridges of open ground;
- unpretentiousness in the care and cultivation of pepper;
- the plant does not need to be tied up and conducting pinching;
- maturing in the medium term;
- the possibility of universal use of the harvested crop;
- Designed for long enough storage.
It should be remembered that a lack of lighting often causes massive falling of buds and ovaries, and also causes yellowing and shedding of leaves.
California Miracle Pepper: Growing
Depending on the soil and climatic conditions in the cultivation region, bell peppers can be grown both by seedlings and by direct sowing of seeds in the soil of the greenhouse, which is more relevant for the southern regions of our country. When planting bell pepper, you should pay attention to the following features and nuances:
- vegetable culture is very demanding on heat and lighting, therefore, it is recommended to sow sprouted and processed seeds;
- the timing of sowing seeds is determined by the possibility of planting seedlings in a permanent place;
- obtaining a high yield of pepper is possible only when growing this garden crop on fertile, deeply dug up soil with a sufficient level of moisture;
- the best precursors to pepper are onions, carrots, and legumes;
- it is not recommended to grow pepper on the ridges after tomatoes, potatoes or after harvesting eggplant;
- for planting seedlings, the most illuminated and protected from the cold north wind section should be allocated;
- it is best to form ridges on loamy soils with the addition of one bucket of rotted sawdust at the stage of deep digging, the same amount of rotted manure and two buckets of peat;
- fresh, not ripened manure for arrangement of ridges for sweet bell pepper is not used;
- the standard height of the ridge for growing vegetables should be about 25 cm with a width of not more than one meter.
Pepper seedlings should be planted on a cloudy day or after sunset. Plants are buried in the ground to true leaves. The optimal temperature conditions for better survival of pepper seedlings in a constant place are indicators of 22−26 ° C. A sharp decrease in temperature contributes to a delay in the growth and development of a garden crop.
A variety from overseas selection called "California Miracle" forms a powerful habit and is among very productive varieties, which requires high-quality and competent care for the vegetable crop. Of course, maintenance in a greenhouse and cultivation measures in open ground conditions will have some differences, but The basic rules of the technology for cultivating sweet bell pepper are as follows:
- optimal temperature indicators for the full development and normal growth of pepper should be 20−25 ° C;
- in the presence of lilac spots on the fruits, we can talk about a critical decrease in temperature, therefore it is necessary to use shelter with a film or nonwoven garden material;
- for watering peppers, settled or rain water is used, heated by the sun to a temperature of 24–26 ° C;
- it is impossible to prevent both overdrying of the soil on the ridges, and overmoistening, causing a number of diseases of the vegetable crop;
- before flowering, peppers need to be watered 1-2 times a week, spending about one bucket of water per square meter;
- at the stage of flowering and mass fruiting, watering should be made more frequent, and it is also recommended to increase water consumption by 10%;
- the first feeding is carried out after the appearance of two true leaves by means of a solution of superphosphate, potassium fertilizer and ammonium nitrate.
For full development, peppers need regular, but shallow loosening of the soil, preventing the formation of soil crust and improving the flow of air to the root system. The ridges must be kept clean and regular removal of weeds. Besides, it is imperative to conduct regular inspections of landings, and if necessary, treat plants with folk remedies or chemicals against diseases and lesions with the most common pests.
Reviews and recommendations of gardeners
Vander Gold pepper refers to the mid-early varieties of California sweet pepper from the Dutch selection. Very often, domestic gardeners make a variety confused with sweet pepper from the Royce Sluis selection called California Miracle.
According to the practice of experienced gardeners using intensive agricultural techniques in the cultivation of sweet pepper, the fruits of this variety are red, thick-walled, up to one centimeter thick, at maturity. The largest, despite the maximum declared weight of 150 g, often reach a mass of 500-700 g. The first crop can be harvested just three months after sowing the seeds, and the fruits ripen for a month and a half.
How to plant pepper
Quite deservedly reviews about this variety are always positive, but when growing, you should strictly adhere to the technology of caring for the vegetable crop, which allows you to get the highest quality and plentiful harvest of delicious fruits of marketable pepper.